Churches in Goa

Basilica of Bom Jesus
The Basilica dedicated to infant Jesus, has been declared a World Heritage Monument now. This is one of the most important of the churches where the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier are enshrined. There is a life-sized statue of St.Ignatius of Loyala the founder of Jesuits. This church is located 10 km from Panaji, in Old Goa were some of India’s most popular and greatest churches exist.

Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception (Panaji)
This is reportedly one of the first Churches to be built in Goa in 1540’s. It was rebuilt again in 1619. After Panjim became the capital city of Goa, the great bell of the church of Our Lady of Grace in Old Goa or the “Bell of the Inquisition” was moved to this church in 1841.

Church of Our Lady of the Rock of France (Brittona)
This church is located at Brittona on the banks of the Mandovi River opposite to the capital city of Panaji in Bardez Taluka. It was built by grateful seamen who believed that Our Lady has miraculously saved them from the Plague.

The St.Cajetan Church
The St.Cajetan Church stands opposite to the Se Cathedral. Its pattern is said to have been derived from the original design of the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome. The original name of the St.Cajetan Church was the Church of Our Lady of Divine Providence. There are total of seven alters. The paintings on these alters are in the style of the Italian school as it was practiced then. Some of theses paintings in the St Cajetan Church also depict scenes from the life of St. Cajetan

The Church of St. Francis of Assisi
This church lies to the west of St. Cathedral. The former Palace of the Archbishop connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and church of St. Francis of Assisi. The convent, which forms an annexure to church, now houses the Archaeological Museum.

St. Cathedral Church
This church is dedicated to St.Catherine. This church is dedicated to St.Catherine because Alfonso de Albuquerque conquered Goa on her feast day – 25th November 1510. The Se Cathedral church is the largest church in Asia. It is claimed that a vision of Christ has appeared in 1919 in the Chapel of the Cross of Miracles housed in the Se Cathedral Church on the cross that hangs there. It is claimed today that the cross is slowly growing.